SYDNEY TIME:

HONOLULU TIME:

11/13/2010

"Heaps"

Aloha!


There's a particular word in my vocabulary that foreigners seem to always react funnily to. I never considered it a funny word at all, and it probably isn't, but I guess it's somewhat endemic to the Australian language. It's a great word, one that I happily and very frequently use.

Heaps


[adj.] plenty; in great abundance

For example:
"I cycled heaps yesterday"
"My thighs are heaps sore from all the cycling I did."
"There are heaps of idiots on the road."


All of the above statements are true. Yesterday I must have clocked about 25km on my bike. Going to uni, then going home after class. Searching for the 24-hour Fitness Center near the Hawai'i Convention Center, then giving up and going back to campus to see My Swedish Friend at her work. Cycling over to the dorms for a useless meeting, then seeing my girls at Hale Wainani before their weekend away at the North Shore. Proceeding to the craft store to look for some giant candy canes (no luck there) before going back home. From home I searched "Kahala Mall" on Google Maps and then took off again on my bike, along the dark blue path on the map below to have dinner with GG101L Guy at Whole Foods.

In retrospect, I probably didn't have to go around Diamond Head...
After dinner, we waited at the bus stop for a while to get back home, but both of the bicycle mounts on the next available bus were occupied. So GG101L Guy took the bus while I cycled back home (along the light blue route) to drop off my leftover mushroom chicken and then head to Barnes & Noble for some light reading. It took about 45 minutes to get from Kahala Mall to Ala Moana Center, and throughout that entire leg I had an old song playing in my head. I flicked through a random travel guide to Alaska, admiring photographs of brown bears, polar bears, arctic fox cubs and the aurora borealis, while GG101L Guy immersed himself in Crime and Punishment. On my way home from Ala Moana I almost got mowed down by some f-wit who ran a red light.

That was yesterday. In a nutshell I did heaps of cycling. Today, though, the Humbug Express didn't get any action. I pretty much stayed in all day except for the 20 minutes I spent Food Pantry, wondering what type of cheese to put on my ham, cheese and tomato sandwich. Other than that I did nothing productive. I still haven't had a haircut or written my paper on Hawaiian art forms. Instead I read a bit of Matthew Reilly while listening to Vanessa Carlton tell me the story of my life on repeat. I love that song. Heaps.

A hui hou!

2 comments:

  1. Um excuse me but "heaps" is actually a NZ word... Bloody Aussies trying to steal more of our stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Heaps

    ReplyDelete