SYDNEY TIME:

HONOLULU TIME:

11/29/2010

Big Island Trip - Part III

Sunday.

I actually had breakfast this morning. I traded a bread bun for one of Lucas' (our driver) Trail Bars. The topic of conversation was Alaska, which I think might actually be the next State I visit. We also talked a bit about Argentina, where Lucas is from.

"So, Argentina... that's near Spain, right?"

FAIL, JERRY.



We departed KMC and drove back to the caldera, to see it during the day. Then we headed for the lava tubes. I could give you a lecture right now about how a lava tube forms, but I can't be bothered (sorry). I'll just tell you that they're really awesome, dark and occasionally wet tunnels and caves. We then stopped a couple of times along the Chain of Craters, where we found some reticulite and locks of Pele's Hair. Our final destination was the lava tree field at some place whose name I can't remember. But that was also really cool. Lucas told us about a pit crater called Devil's Throat, but unfortunately we didn't get a chance to see it. Pit craters are pretty fantastic.

I've become a geology nerd.

The day continues here.

1 comment: