SYDNEY TIME:

HONOLULU TIME:

11/04/2010

Procrasting procrastination

Aloha!


I have a midterm tomorrow morning for Hawaiian Environmental Science, as well as some work to do for Filipino. I need, however, to do my laundry (i.e. procrastinate). And yet I find myself sitting on my bed, doing absolutely nothing productive, while my textbooks sit in my backpack and my dirty clothes rot in a pile in the corner. And on my chair. And on my bed.



So in an effort to actually get one of the aforementioned tasks started, I searched my desk for any disposable quarters for the washing and drying machines. Which brought me to a pile of State Quarters on my desk. Which in turn brought me to the ones that are on display on my wall. At last count I have 40 of the 50 states. The ones I'm missing are:

The bulk of my quarters.
  1. New Jersey
  2. Rhode Island
  3. Ohio
  4. Mississippi
  5. Illinois
  6. Maine
  7. Missouri
  8. Arkansas
  9. Michigan
  10. Wisconsin
  11. Montana
  12. Oklahoma
  13. Arizona


More coins under my hangover advice.
Even more coins next to sexy Duke.

Looking at this list made me question my maths. If I have 40 out of 50 unique State Quarters posted on my wall, why on earth do I still need to collect 13?

I'm glad you asked. You see, the ever-expanding United States of America continued its production of special quarters in 2009 (after completing the 50 states in 2008) with six new coins: District of Columbia,  the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands and the Northern Mariana Islands. It turns out that I own three of these six already.

This year it seems that the U.S. mint has moved on from states and territories to promoting America's natural beauty. My Swedish Friend gave me duplicates of her Yellowstone and Yosemite quarters. Also in this collection are: Hot Springs National Park, Grand Canyon and Mount Hood National Forest. Gotta collect 'em all!
Yellowstone and Yosemite, next to a really cool doggy.
Cool because there's a strong wind blowing in its face.

Meanwhile, my textbooks remain unopened and my dirty clothes remain unwashed. It's getting late and I should probably go do my laundry now (and perhaps do some study while I wait) so that I've got something clean to wear for tomorrow...

A hui hou!

2 comments: