SYDNEY TIME:

HONOLULU TIME:

9/08/2010

How am I supposed to do my laundry...

...When a ridiculous percentage of the quarters in my wallet are State Quarters!?

Aloha!


Today at the vending machine, I specifically purchased a cinnamon roll costing $1.25 and paid with two $1 notes, so that I'd receive three 25c coins (quarters) in change. The stupid machine took my money and didn't spit any out.

Almost every machine that's coin operated here runs on quarters. That includes washing and drying machines. At The `Ōhia, washing and drying costs $1.25 and $0.75 respectively (which is why I'm still really peeved about that vending machine incident - the change could have paid for my drying). I ended up trading some notes for quarters at the store. Now technically I can afford to do two loads of washing and drying and still have enough coins for a soda. The problem, though, is that 60% of the quarters I own are State Quarters.

A regular quarter will depict, on the "tails" side, an eagle showing off its majestic wingspan. Between 1999-2009 the United States Mint was pumping out special quarters embossed with a certain design on the "tails" side, unique to each of the 50 States. I currently own 24% of the entire collection, and I choose not to spend them...

The elusive regular quarter-dollar

...Which means that after I do my washing, 100% of the quarters in my wallet will be State Quarters.

Okay, off to do my laundry!

A hui hou kakou!

1 comment:

  1. What the? Thats weird I don't think I ever got a state quarter when i was over there....hmm anway hope ur having fun...and learning stuff

    ReplyDelete