SYDNEY TIME:

HONOLULU TIME:

9/03/2010

It's okay. I'm an international student

a.k.a. "Cheap Week"

Wednesday night: BBQ @ The Ohia. Some of the MIXers and I were about to go for it but then didn't bother because the queue was as epic as the Kumulipo. Instead we had dinner at Chili's. Best idea ever. Upon return to The Ohia, however, the crowd at the poolside barbecue had dissipated, carving a clear and direct path between myself and the sizzling meats. Was I hungry? No. Was it free? Yes. Did I get myself a cheeseburger? No - I got myself a double cheeseburger! Did I eat it? Of course I didn't. I saved it for the next day.

It's okay. I'm an international student.

Thursday morning: breakfast. I learned from the previous day's mistake that I need to eat something before going to class. I didn't really have time, though, so when I peered into the refrigerator and saw a mound wrapped up in serviettes, the word "genius" immediately came to mind. Because I don't yet have a microwave, I ate it cold. But that's okay.

I'm an international student.

Thursday afternoon: lunch @ the International Baptist Church. This is a free weekly lunch for international students. The meals are truly filling, and the staff are incredibly nice. I almost feel like I'm taking advantage of them just by being there, but it's okay.

You get the point.

Yes, I've been living really cheaply this past week. And probably for the next couple of weeks too. I've been trying to save a couple of bucks here and there, sometimes eating $2.50 worth of a $5 Footlong at lunch and having the other $2.50 for dinner, or living off my stockpile of spam (and burning my finger whilst frying it). I think this rather stingy lifestyle will be advantageous in the long-run.


Oh, would you look at that - I just booked a trip to Kaua'i!

Mahalo!

No comments:

Post a Comment