SYDNEY TIME:

HONOLULU TIME:

10/13/2010

I need coffee

...or just anything to keep me awake during class.


Aloha!


My uni friends back home would know that I tend to fall asleep a lot during lectures. I know I'm not the only person in the world who does so, but I wanted my time in Hawai`i to be well-spent and because I do tend to enjoy sleeping in general (my Kaua`i car buddies can attest to this), I would much prefer to use the times allocated to lectures actually learning something.


I really like three out of my four classes. Those three classes happen to also be the same ones in which the teacher actually knows who I am. The remaining class - Hawaiian Environmental Science - is, deep down, an extremely interesting class to take. At the surface, however, it can feel like the most useless way to spend my lunch hour on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I'm sure the teacher is a nice person, but oh my goodness he can talk. And talk. And talk, and talk and talk. Have you ever had a teacher who talks at you rather than to you? Have you even just met a person who does that? It can get old really quickly, can't it? It's what put me to sleep today in the lecture as well as the other night at the movies.

Back to my Kaua`i car buddies - each of them can and will tell you that I slept a lot in the car. This is, therefore, an objectively verifiable observation. An observation that is objectively verifiable is known in laymen's terms as a "fact". I know this because my Hawaiian Environmental Science teacher has (almost literally) drilled this definition into our minds. That's another thing about his lectures - they can be really repetitive.

Okay, I notice I'm bitching a lot, so I'm going to leave with a picture of a "happy face spider":

Don't you just want to hug it?
A hui hou!

1 comment: